Friday, December 3, 2010

Dr Benjamin's Lecture- Sara Tosi @02647875

I really enjoyed Dr. Benjamin’s lecture on the Eloquence of the Scribes. Before her lecture I didn’t know about half of the people the buildings on campus are named for. It was really interesting to get a glimpse of the University’s history and made the buildings feel more personal. Perhaps one of the most interesting figures is Zora Neale Hurston, author and founder of The Hilltop. I was also eager to learn more about Harriet Tubman, whom I have never studied in depth. Dr. Benjamin taught us that Tubman also worked for the Union army during the civil war as a nurse and spy in addition to her work on the Underground Railroad. I was really intrigued by Phyllis Wheatley. I live in Wheatley Hall and never knew about Wheatley’s history. As soon as I got home from class after the lecture I looked up some of Wheatley’s poems. Dr. Benjamin also taught us a little about the sculptures on campus and some of the fraternities. She finished by teaching us that Howard has always been a University; it did not start as a college. After the lecture I genuinely felt like I knew more about the University. I know this knowledge will come in handy in the future. I thought it was really good idea for a presentation on Dr. Benjamin’s part.

No comments:

Post a Comment