Saturday, November 27, 2010

Final self-reflection, by: Melissa Moise @02644455

My viewpoint of freshman seminar was a class focusing mainly on study skills and how to survive college. I thought the class would give us advice on study habits that would be useful for the rest of college. I didn’t think that we were going to have different guest speakers every week or even go to a field trip all the way in New York.
After the second class I thought to myself why must we also have to take an African studies class, because I felt like freshman seminar was an African studies class. Most of our discussions were about our ancestors and how everything traces back to Africa. At first it was frustrating because it felt like that’s all we ever talked about, Africa. I soon realized I was learning a lot, and if I never had this class I probably would not have gone to the African Burial Ground. One of my favorite presentations was The Eloquence of the Scribes because I learned so much about Howard University’s history like how Inabel Burns Lindsay was the first female academic dean in Washington, D.C. Even though I should have researched Howard’s history on my own it made me proud to know that I attend a school that had so many ambitious leaders and it motivates me to do the same. One of the most valuable things I learned was I was put on earth to answer someone else’s prayer and that I do have a purpose.
Overall freshman seminar has been a great experience because I learned to work with others and research on my own and I also learned to meet deadlines for my blogs. If I could change one thing it would be to have the research and methodology presentation in the beginning because it completely explained what freshman seminar was and the goals for the course; it also explained what was needed for the project and it cleared a lot of confusion that I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment