Monday, October 4, 2010

The African Burial Trip, By: Melissa Moise @02644455

On Saturday October 3, 2010 the freshman seminar class attended The African Burial in New York City. When I learned that I had to wake up at five in the morning, and I wasn’t returning until ten at night I wasn’t so pleased. I thought to myself “there goes my weekend”. Then I realized some of my good friends were going to attend the trip with me; and we were going to have free time after, so I began to think more positively. While at the African Burial I learned more about my African/Haitian heritage and myself.
I learned that 15,000 to 20,000 Africans were buried there and the remains of about 400 Africans were preserved there. While walking through the museum I discovered most of the remains belonged to children. I am most proud that the black community decided to have students of Howard University study the remains, because it adds more history to the school; and as a student it makes me proud to attend Howard University. Howard University was able to detect some of the remains, gender, age, and other things. While walking through the memorial and viewing the symbols, I realized that some of them relate to Haitian Voudon like papa Legba and manman Brigitte. I learned that most Haitians were descendants of Africans that came from congo, Yoruba and other places; prior to that day I only knew they came from West Africa. This added to my Haitian pride and made me feel more connected to my African Ancestors.
Overall I’m glad I attended the trip, I truly learned a few new things about my African/Haitian heritage. I also felt connected to my African ancestors when we gave a moment of silence and poured water. I also enjoyed the free time in New York City with my friends, because that was another experience itself as well. I thank Dr. Carr and everyone else who gave me this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment